At Media Fox it’s our job to help our clients set and achieve their marketing goals.
Part of this job is ensuring our team is always up-to-date with the latest in marketing trends, technology and consumer behavior, so we can provide the most effective and relevant advice to new and existing clients.
In our research, we lean on numerous organisations and reports, however there is one source in particular we keep an eye out for every month. And it’s free.
If you own or run a small business, or have marketing responsibilities in your job description, the Nielsen Online Landscape Review is an invaluable asset.
While most small businesses generally accept the importance of an effective online presence, the Nielsen Review makes an irrefutable case, boiling down a world of online data into compelling and digestible detail.
Consider these main points from the December 2015 report:
• 18,312,000 Australians were actively surfing online in December 2015.
• The average Australian spends 30 hours online per month, across 60 sessions.
• It was even higher for businesses targeting people in the 25-34, 35-49 and 50+ age brackets, with average usage coming in at 34, 32 and 33 hours per month respectively.
(Admittedly we are still a little surprised by the usage figures in the 50+ bracket – hence the importance to keep up to date!)
Of particular relevance to businesses without mobile- and tablet-friendly websites; 67% of online Australian traffic now comes from portable devices.
Let’s be clear here. If your website is designed only for desktop computers, then you’re catering for only 33% of website visitors.
Just imagine how many potential sales you are missing out on.
The Nielson report also reveals some competitive clues as to how you can engage new and existing customers:
• The average Australian is streaming more online content (e.g. video) than ever before, at an average of 8.5 hours of every month. YouTube and Facebook are by far the two biggest players in this space.
• It isn’t just 18-24 year olds driving the streaming surge (539 streams per month), Australian’s over 50 stream content 211 times per month!
So if you’re looking for ways to increase sales in 2016, we’ve got it on good authority a new mobile-friendly website with customised and engaging video content might be a great starting point!